You can’t capture perfect photos always. There might be less or more light, brightness changing your entire skin tone. Or your ecommerce requires the pictures of models to look more natural, maintaining the proper skin tone with your products.
Also, beautification of the photo isn’t the last thing in editing. Rather, a natural look is what most people demand now. Regardless of the reason, you need to fix the skin tone; luckily, Photoshop allows you to do that. This will be a great addition to your portrait retouching workflow.
So, if you are worried about the skin tone of your photo, here’s the solution. Before that, let’s get familiar with various skin tones in photos.
What are Different Types of Skin Tones?
- 1 What are Different Types of Skin Tones?
- 2 How to Fix Skin Tone in Photoshop?
- 3 When Do We Need to Fix Skin Tone?
- 4 Reasons Behind Uneven Skin Tone
- 5 How to Transform from White Skin to Black Skin in Photoshop?
- 6 Final Words
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Type 1: This type of skin is extremely fair, always burns and never tans.
Type 2: This type of skin also burns but sometimes tans. It’s fair enough but less fair than Type 1 skin.
Type 3: Medium skin and tans always. Sometimes burns.
Type 4: This olive skin always tans and burning is rare.
Type 5: Moderately pigmented brown. As for burning and tanning, it’s the opposite of type 1 skin.
Type 6: It always tans and never burns, similar to type 5 skin. Skin is markedly pigmented black.
How to Fix Skin Tone in Photoshop?
Now, let’s begin our main discussion. We would like to mention that the method we will explain isn’t necessarily the only solution. But, you can have an idea about fixing the skin tone by Photoshop.
As a beginner with minimum knowledge about Photoshop, avoiding any action that could affect the image would be better.
Our focus point is red skin tone and we’ll work on fixing that. Consider selecting the specific areas you want to change or fix.
Here are the steps:
- Create a fresh Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.
- Select master and then red in the layer properties.
- Drag the saturation slider entirely to the right. It will indicate the most affected areas.
- At the Hue/ saturations dialogue’s bottom, select the slider.
- Slide it right or left to zero. It would be in the area that needs to work on. You’ll have two sliders in tandem. Adjust the selection. Thus, you can narrow it to the most affected area.
- Drag the slider right or left to disclose the most affected area. And, your work is on that part.
- Put back the saturation down to zero.
- Now, slide the Hue slider right or left to adjust the color. Continue adjusting as you notice the affected area being started matching the skin tone of the other areas of the face.
So, finally, you have the skin tone fixed in Photoshop.
When Do We Need to Fix Skin Tone?
It’s easy to answer that any visible issue in the skin tone is an uneven skin response. Knowing the status will be the first step in this case. Don’t worry. It’s nothing complicated. Detecting uneven skin is the primary task for fixing the tone.
Unliking a photo isn’t the prime or only clue to suggesting an uneven photo that needs to be fixed. However, there are some certain signs.
Discoloration and changes in skin texture are two such points. There can be dark markings in the photo and a visible imbalance of color. A spotty surface of an expanse is easy to notice. These are some of the many indicators of an uneven photo.
Reasons Behind Uneven Skin Tone
- Excessive and unprotected sun exposure creates sun spots that discolor the skin.
- Melanin is a factor that influences the color of skin, eyes, and hair.
- Hyperpigmentation increases the amount of melanin in the body, ultimately affecting the skin’s shades.
- Melasma is another skin condition that causes discoloration.
- Dry skin is not healthy at all. Being not moisturized and hydrated enough, skin is always prone to patchiness.
- We may not notice, but pollution does a lot to destroy our skin tone.
How to Transform from White Skin to Black Skin in Photoshop?
Most people prefer to have a bright skin tone. But what if you need a darker skin tone? Do you hire another model for that? Definitely, you can, but why, while you can do it using Photoshop.
You may want to bring a more natural vibe by darkening the color. But remember that there’s a certain limit and the image will appear rather unreal.
Below are some ways you can do that using:
- Blend Mode
- Multiple Adjustment Together
- Curves Adjustment Layers
- Adding Levels Adjustment Layers
- Brightness/Contrast Adjustment layer
- Blending Solid Color Adjustment Layer
Do you still think how to fix skin tone in Photoshop is a tough job? Believe me. It’s a No if you like to learn new things because it’s fun. The task shouldn’t be puzzling if you follow the steps given in the article. However, this is not the only method you’ve got. Many methods or apps allow you to do the tasks easily. So, don’t stop surfing Photoshop.
You can follow this video:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I match skin tones in Photoshop?
Match Skin Tones in Photoshop
- Choose a color to sample. Find an image with pleasing skin tones.
- Make a small selection around your skin.
- Add a Curves Adjustment Layer.
- Fill in the RGB values for each channel of the curve.
- Compare the RGB values.
- Use a Layer Mask to selectively apply the effect.
How do you fix uneven skin tone?
- Customize Your Skincare Routine Based on Your Skin Type. Choose products that are appropriate for your skin type.
- Exfoliate the skin. Exfoliation is an important step in treating uneven skin tones.
- Get a Facial…
- Cleanse and moisturize every day.
- Eat a healthy diet.
Why is my face darker than my neck?
Because our face skin produces more melanin than the rest of our bodies, it is generally darker. Sunlight’s harmful rays can damage melanin cells, and because the face is more exposed to sunlight, it is the first to be affected.
How do I make skin lighter in Photoshop?
Choose Layer> New Adjustment Layer> Levels. Adjust the level slider to get a whiter skin color.